SEL Project Based Learning Lesson

Reflecting On My Learning


Understanding by Design

In this unit I designed, it focused on the topic of Social Emotional Learning.  I feel this topic is so important to emphasize in the classroom.  There are so many times that I have students coming up to me and asking me questions on how to handle a social situation.  In fourth grade, students are starting to gain an understanding that their actions (whether positive or negative) can affect people. I really enjoyed making this unit plan because I feel like it can be really beneficial for my students and our school.  

Being able to create my own Project Based Learning lesson during this course has been very educational.  I have always wanted to incorporate more PBL into my classroom.  Looking back on this lesson, a challenge that I might face is not getting well developed questions from my students to use in their Google Forms.  The more I look back on the lesson,  I am going to have to  make sure to teach my students how to develop good questioning, model it, and then have them practice.  I think by doing this, it will lead to better developed questions for their project.

When I reflect back on my experience making this PBL lesson, I remember how overwhelming it felt when I first looked at the template.  I felt like there were a lot of different parts to the plan and it was confusing on where to even begin. With the guidance of our instructor and the discussion with the other teachers in my class, it became easier and easier to fill out.  I am so excited to try this with my students and see what kind of action plan they will come up with to share with our principal!

Comments